Ummmm.....Dave....

Last I checked, Elecraft was in business to make a profit, and while
chatting with Eric at the Orlando Hamcation this year, he mentioned
that they were, in fact, profitable, with no debt.  These are good
things!    They should make a profit for their efforts.

However, they experienced business people, and Elecraft is not the
first business they've run.  They are in fact in control of the means
of production - including firmware updates, and can chose where to
draw the "lines in the sand" (I hate that cliche) with respect to what
work item they schedule for action.

Nobody's taking advantage of them.

Actually, I could argue the exact opposite: if anyone's been taking
advantage, it's Elecraft of their customers.  See "Long Wait Times",
"Free Loans (aka Deposits)", "Immature Firmware", and "Missing
Advertised (STILL!) Functionality After One Year On The Market".

'Nuff said.

I'm going to put on my climbing harness, and go do some antenna work.
It's going to be 95F down here in Florida today - just right for
hanging off a 140' tower.  ;-)

73,
Steve NN4X