I have to agree that the CWT worked better under the old firmware but I think I'll put up with it until it's fixed rather than go back to an older version. I'm using the beta firmware now and notice less bouncing around of the CWT indicator but it still locks in on the wrong frequency unless you punch it multiple times.

Steve Ellington
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Cunnings" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "wayne burdick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Elecraft Reflector" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2008 10:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 BETA FIRMWARE RELEASE -- MCU rev 1.94

Unfortunately I see little improvement in the CW auto-spot feature,
broken in the last release. It is still much less accurate than the
original algorithm, and less consistent in it's behavior.

Try this - tune in a good steady (S6 or S7) cw signal. Set tuning to
FINE, enable CWT and then press SPOT repeatedly, observing the
frequency display. The beta version (like 1.88) settles on a
considerably different frequency almost every time - moving 5 Hz or
more commonly, and sometimes as much as 20 Hz or more. There is a
tendency to tune low. The original version, on the other hand, rarely
moves more than 1 or 2 Hz with each auto-spot invocation, bearing out
the fact that it is more accurate in general, or less likely to get
confused (by noise, varying morse code speed etc.).

Since I have two K3 units here, I set one up with 1.78/1.58 and the
other with the beta firmware, and then compared their auto-spot
behavior side by side on the same received signal using an antenna
switch. The difference is quite pronounced. Here are some series of
freqs (last three digits) resulting from 10 successive invocations of
auto-spot on the same steady S7 signal on 40 meters (at 13 wpm or so,
fortunately a long winded transmission):

v178/158 (TEXT DEC threshold = AUTO)
125, 125, 125, 129, 130, 130, 127, 128, 129, 129

beta (TEXT DEC threshold = AUTO)
115, 118, 124, 079 (!), 106, 106, 124, 107, 112, 100

beta (TEXT DEC threshold = 5)
124, 123, 109, 116, 118, 122, 117, 116, 120, 123

The newer firmware version tends to "bounce around" more with a
tendency to tune low, often requiring multiple invocations of
auto-spot to hit the right pitch, whereas the original algorithm
generally tunes right the first time. With threshold set to 5 in the
beta version auto-spot is a bit better, but all too often it takes
multiple tries to hit the right pitch, as it still tends low. If I set
the threshold much higher, it doesn't want to tune at all for signals
that the original algorithm handled easily.

I'm not sure what the "improvements" to auto-spot introduced in 1.88
were supposed to do, but IMO the feature is still negatively affected
by the attempt. A side by side comparison of the two versions, on the
same signal, is very revealing in this case  -  can someone else try
this?

Too bad, since I use the feature a lot it's back to 1.78/1.58 for now.
It "just works".

Bob NW8L