Even after the recent news reports about problems with it, I just made the
stupid mistake of installing Microsoft's XP Service Pack 3 on my Dell
Dimension 9100 with ATI Radeon display adaptor.  Afterwards my 20" flat
panel monitor (which supports 1600 x 1200 DPI resolution at 32 bit color
depth) was reduced to 648 x 480 @ 16 colors.  I was able to increase this
all the way to 800 x 600 @ 16 colors!

Three hours later I'm now back on SP2.

I have submitted a report to Microsoft about this.

The problem may be due to my having rotated my display to portrait
orientation during the installation of SP3, but I'm not about try
reinstalling SP3 to find out.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!