On Tue, 20 May 2008 22:53:52 -0700, you wrote:

>Tom makes an excellent point.
>
>Like spoken or written language, we consider the context when copying CW.
>That's how we can copy words even when we miss some characters. And, when we
>see the end of a recognizable word, we automatically assume that is the end.
>That is, we often sense a space where there isn't one. That's why a word
>like "superstructure", taken out of context, is easily copied as "super
>structure" even when there is no intentional space.
>
>An unforgiving algorithm measuring the time and reporting accordingly is a
>great training aid if you want to approach "machine timing".
>
>Ron AC7AC

[snip]

Well said.

I think of it this way:  Sending machine timing code helps those who can't copy
code read it on their decoders, in addition to making it easier for those who do
copy CW to have well formed characters and words, which is very important when
head copying in rag chews.  Head copiers tend to listen for words rather than
characters.

I can't count the times I've heard someone sending "NN MM A" when looking for
another operator to talk to...

73,

Tom, N5GE - SWOT 3537 - Grid EM12jq

"Those who would give up