To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 3:03 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Filter selection

Bill W4ZV wrote:

400 and 250: A waste of money IMHO. Since the 400 is actually 435 and the 250 is actually 370, there is only 65 Hz difference in this combination and you'll probably never notice the difference between them (370/435 = only 15%
narrower).  Total cost $250.

I think you are generalising from a single sample.

It may well be the case that to guarantee a bandwidth of at least 250 Hz, without doing expensive select on test procedures for the capacitors, one will have some samples at 370 Hz.

What you may be getting is 250Hz with a given shape factor, but individual units may achieve that shape factor by going flat to a higher frequency and then cutting off much more sharply.

--
David Woolley
"The Elecraft list is a forum for the discussion of topics related to Elecraft products and more general topics related ham radio"