wb7ond wrote:

> When in FSK D mode,  MMTTY will key thru Ext FSK dll the serial port
> data/control lines to FSK the K3. Is there any PSK-31 program that will
> also key the serial port control lines to operate the K3 in PSK D mode?
> The usual ones Digipan et.al. help files do not mention this, only the
> sound card audio.  I've seen the thread on the cw keys/keyboard etc to
> cw-psk.

I'm pretty confident that I'm correct in saying "no", because I think the K3
is the only radio that supports this. Unlike RTTY, which as been around long
before sound cards were invented, PSK31 was designed as a sound card mode.
So there is not even any legacy software that can do this. Since this would
require a second serial port I doubt if such an option would be popular,
especially as there is doubt in my mind as to whether the USB serial ports
most people would want to use are capable of working at the nonstandard baud
rates such modes would require. Under Windows you would probably have to
fight with the system to get access to the serial ports and set these
nonstandard UART parameters, making the task much more difficult than it was
in 1986 when I wrote my own MS-DOS RTTY terminal program.

My new K2/K3 logging program KComm can use the same KY software commands to
generate RTTY and PSK31 when the K3 is in FSK D and PSK D modes. But there
are a number of issues that need to be addressed in the firmware before this
becomes usable on-air, to whit:
- KY currently only supports the CW "alphabet" so you can't send newlines or
backspaces (nor a lot of other characters that are valid in PSK31), and in
PSK31 everything is sent in lower case.
- There is no way to abort the transmission of text that has already been
sent to the radio (as there isn't in CW if you have selected the option to
send "@" as a prosign instead of using it as an abort character.)

-----
Julian, G4ILO  K3 s/n: 222 K2 s/n: 392
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com