Thanks Julian

I can also see by http://aintel.bi.ehu.es/psk31theory.html that this PSK-31
waveform is a bit more complicated at keying than simple fsk on/off digital
1's and 0's.

You mentioned an interesting aspect of the serial converter that is
confusing for me:

"whether the USB serial ports most people would want to use are capable of
working at the nonstandard baud rates such modes would require. Under
Windows you would probably have to fight with the system to get access to
the serial ports and set these nonstandard UART parameters, making the task
much more difficult than it was in 1986 when I wrote my own MS-DOS RTTY
terminal program. "

I purchased an old Belkin usb-serial converter that was recommended as being
capable of running at 45.5 baud from the RTTY info web page.  <
http://www.aa5au.com/gettingstarted/rtty_start8.htm >  Then I discovered
that I did not have to use the "Tx Data" (which I believe is controlled thru
the USART), I could have keyed the DTR or RTS control line at 45.5 baud thru
the EXT FSK dll.  Would not the baud rate of that control pin be controlled
by the MMTTY/Ext FSK software, independant of USART standard buad rates?
When I used a "run of the mill" usb-serial converter in the DTR or DTS, it
seemed as though it keyed just fine, i.e. I heard the diddle and fsk in the
K3 "monitor".  I am using Xp on a Vostro laptop.  I use a serial adapter to
tune the K3, and a second adapter to FSK thru an opto isolator.  I suspect
that all the "Mixw type keyers" have somehow solved that problem..

I continued this post because I figured it may be of interest to other FSK
Rtty folks.

Thanks again.

Dick
WB7OND