I think MODE should be the foundation upon which the various
"interconnected functions" are built.

I would like to see a mode-specific band switch scheme. For example,
if you are in CW, switching bands will recall the frequency, filter
settings, etc. which you last used in CW; further taps on the BAND
buttons will take you through all your last used CW settings on the
different bands. If you switch to AM it would recall the last used AM
freqs (different from the CW settings), filter, RX eq, etc. Same for
SSB, etc.

This could also be the basis for sensible general coverage band
switching as well.

Some details would have to be worked out but a few simple "rules"
would make this MODE-based scheme workable and convenient, I believe.
What programming resources, memory, etc. it would require, I have no
idea... But that's my suggestion.

73,
Drew
AF2Z