One fact that does seem to get missed by many 6m operators is that ambient
noise is very much relative to where you are. Dick makes this very clear.
The old test of disconnecting and reconnecting your antenna to see if the
antenna noise level is perceptible is a good rule of thumb -- but that's
all. Noise is additive. If you have a front end with a crummy noise figure
on 6m, but you do hear the noise level increase modestly when you connect
the antenna by a couple dB -- you will *still* probably benefit from a
preamp with a much better noise figure, because the receiver-based noise you
were hearing with the antenna disconnected is a significant portion of your
overall noise floor when the antenna is connected.

On the other hand, if your total noise floor goes up 7-10 dB when you
connect the antenna, that's perhaps a different matter. This is how much
*my* noise level goes up -- on a *good* day. Will I benefit from a
super-low-noise preamp, as did the CY0X expedition? Maybe not so much. :-)
Again, it depends on how much my existing receiver is contributing to my
overall ambient noise floor.

All I can say to those guys who need 20 dB of gain and a hushed noise figure
to be able to hear any antenna noise on 6m... I envy you more than I can
say! My guess is, however, that my situation is more comparable to the vast
majority of 6m hams living in a typical US metro area.

The whole point of this is simply that the question of "how much RF gain is
enough" and "how good a noise figure is good enough" is *extremely*
relative. I wish it weren't so, but that's the reality. The only reliable
way to see if an LNA will help in your situation is to try it. Which is
exactly what I plan to do. :-)

Bill W5WVO