Hodger,

It sounds like you have the K2 microphone configuration jumper wired straight across for all pins - and that is not correct for Kenwood wiring.

You must connect mic pin 5 to the +5 volt line (which is across from pin 6)

If the microphone is wired to work with a Kenwood transceiver, you will not need an additional bias resistor - it should already be i the provided adapter. But then I do not know the real requirements of that microphone, I am guessing that it works like most Kenwood mics that need power or bias.

The reason your K2 is acting strangely is because Pin 5 is now connected to the FUNC line in the K2 by virtue of your mic configuration header.

73,
Don W3FPR

Holger Doerschel wrote:
Hello,

normally I use a Heil Pro-Set with IC-4 and the red Kenwood-adapter for my K2 and for my K3 , too. Now I decided to buy a cheaper headset for my K2 which I do not use very often.

I bought a computer-headset which has a modified connector and it should be ready for kenwood-rig-operation (http://www.eurofrequence.de/mikrofone/page2.html ED 5 sw). The microphone is an electrical one, so I settet the jumper 5 on the frontpanel of my K2. I didn't solder a 5.6kohm resistor between pin1 and 6 of the connector because I will solder it at the headset-connector and not on the frontpanel.

If I connect the new headset the K2 freezes and ELEC is shown on the display. Note: the resisior has not been soldered yet. If I remove the jumper and conect my Heil Proset it works fine.