Brett Howard wrote:

> So am I to assume that the 8-pole filters are not going to need to worry
> about this as they are all at 0 anyway?  What is the advantage of
> getting two matched pairs of 5-pole filters when you can get two 8-poles
> for only 10 bucks a filter more?
>
> I'm assuming that its 100 + 100 + 30 for matched 5-pole filters or 125 +
> 125 for the 8-pole filters.  I can see there being a great advantage if
> you already have a 5-pole and want to match it in your sub RX.  But if
> you're just getting 2 at the same time it seems like the 8-pole makes
> for a good option too..  At least I hope so cause diversity receive was
> the main reason I figured I'd go for the 8-poles... :)

You're correct that 8-poles have no offsets and avoid this problem.  When I
ordered my 5-poles there was a $40 per filter discount to 8-poles and nobody
(including Elecraft) understood that the Sub RX filters needed to matched if
using 5-poles.  EI6IZ on the Field Test team discovered this in December
when he saw slight frequency offsets as the WIDTH control toggled different
filters.

But the real reason I ordered my 500 and 200 combination is purely
bandwidth.  Here are Elecraft's measurements:

Filter  BW(-6dB)     Shape Factor

 200     224             4.0
 250     370             2.1
 400     435             2.1
 500     565             3.1

For weak CW signals or in contests I prefer a wider bandwidth.  For weak
signals the additional bandwidth gives my ears a better context in which to
apply my ear/brain's internal 50 Hz filter.  In contests, I also want to be
able to hear stations calling me off-frequency as well as hear what's going
on around my run frequency (so I can chase off those folks who send "?" once
and then start CQ-ing 250 Hz above me).

I would actually prefer 8-pole filters for rejection reasons, but the
bandwidth choices above are simply wrong for my use.  The 400 is too narrow
and the 250 is too wide (and only 65 Hz between the two!).  When I need a
narrow filter, I want a *truly* narrow filter.  The main use I have for the
200 is in nearly simplex pileups with lots of S9+++ signals (think 160m DX
pileups).

Another reason one might want 8-poles is when using N8LP's LP-PAN and SDR
software for a panadaptor/waterfall display.  The 5-pole offsets can cause a
similar problem here as you rotate WIDTH through different filters.
However, with the recent addition of Elecraft's programming commands to read
the internal filter offsets, N8LP says WU2X can correct for the offsets in
his PowerSDR-IF software.

The bottom line to me is that I choose filters primarily for their bandwidth
and I prefer the 500/200 combination even with their offset warts.  If
Elecraft offered different BW choices in the 8-poles, I might prefer them.
Quite frankly, given the current $25 price differential, I don't see why
Elecraft doesn't go to all 8-pole filters and make some better bandwidth
choices (e.g. at least octave differences at the low end...say 600 and a
*true* 250...not the one above which is actually 370).  I wouldn't be
surprised to see Inrad eventually do this even if Elecraft doesn't.

73,  Bill