Bill is right.

The below prescription does indeed allow one to use the 1.8KHz filter successfully on SSB. It is another tool in ones toolbox to help when things get tough. It plus the other K3 QRM fighting choices can be quite effective.

The objective here is not fidelity. Of course the result isn't hifi. The objective is to be able to copy under tough conditions. It does what it is supposed to do. It gives you a shot at hearing your his call when a jammed rare one comes back or pulling through a contest exchange when wider filters can't. It isn't magic.

Another misconception. One can't just say all rig/1.8KHz filters combos produce the same results. Just because a 1.8KHz filter was unusable in one rig, doesn't mean it can't work OK in another.
Another tool -- earphones.

73 de Brian/K3KO

Bill W4ZV wrote:

Tom Childers, N5GE wrote:
I've had 1.8 filters in many different rigs over the years and found that
rarely used them because, in my opinion, they are too narrow for SSB,
making it
sound tinny to me.

I'm copying this from the Yahoo Group list because someone recently asked a
similar question.
Before you give up on the 1.8k filter, be sure to try the following:

1. Tune in a station exactly using a wide filter.
2. Adjust WIDTH = 1800 (or less).
3. Adjust either SHIFT (my preference) or HI/LO CUT for best audio.

With proper adjustment you can get good intelligibility down to 1500
Hz. I believe my SHIFT setting is ~200 at ~1800 BW and goes up to ~400 at ~1500 BW, but let your own ears be your guide.

I learned this back in my FT-1000MP days and it's absolutely
necessary for using any rig at low bandwidths on SSB.

I would only recommend a 1.8k for someone interested in contesting or
perhaps DX-ing on the low bands. Unless you have extremely strong
stations nearby, the standard 2.7k will still work fine and you can
always narrow the DSP filter to <1800 when necessary.

73, Bill