Ed,

> I apologize if I inferred that the Microham units were defective or
> failed due to workmanship or design.  The expedition lost the use of
> three out of the four CW interfaces they brought, as you say, most
> likely due to lightening or environmental conditions.

STOP IT!

DigiKeyer is a digital (RTTY) interface - NONE of the microHAM CW
interfaces failed.  All three of the microKEYER II units from TX5C
are still working in the shacks of the team members who took them
home.

Yes, one DigiKeyer failed and the team has neither told us how or
why nor returned the unit for evaluation.  However, there were a
lot of other, more serious, problems with that operation.

By the way, VP6DX had a dozen microKEYER II interfaces - every one
worked flawlessly.  Several other major DXpeditions, including
3Y0X, have used microHAM interfaces exclusively without incident
in very difficult environments.

The one DigiKeyer failure at TX5C is the ONLY failure at any of
the major DXpeditions that have used microHAM interfaces.

73,

   ... Joe Subich, W4TV
       microHAM America
       http://www.microHAM-USA.com