Personally I'd rather have the ability to do CW in SSB anywhere as it
turns out to be a good safety feature if ever need be.  Granted cross
mode is more of a safety option when we're talking about a KX1 but you
never know.  Personally I feel that not disallowing TX outside of the
bands (or making things configurable so that one can transmit outside of
band (with just a warning if your OOB) would be a good enhancement.

~Brett (KC7OTG)