Sorry Ian, not so.
If you had read the EMC column in RadCom you will see that
complaints have been lodged with Ofcom by the RSGB EMCC with
regard to computer SM PSU's. These are manufactured in China,
fully CE marked, and sold through at least 3 well known
electronic/computer outlets.

In all cases the PSU's have been CE tested with the required input
suppression components fitted, however when they are supplied to
the UK these components are omitted, and wire links fitted in
their place. The conducted noise level from these PSU's exceeds
the permitted levels by many times.

This is a clear breach of EU EMC legislation, but so far no action
has been taken. They have also turned up in quantity in France.

I am sure that these outlets selling the PSU's demanded, and got
the paperwork. Unfortunately it is worthless unless there is
enforcement. To date, despite much communication there has been
nothing from Ofcom to move the matter forward.

Taking the PSU back to the shop is fine if you brought the unit.
Not so easy if it is a neighbour who's computer SM PSU is wiping
out the HF bands.

Although, not an EMC matter fairly recently a young boy was
electrocuted because a CE marked computer PSU was of such poor
quality that a low voltage wire touched the mains input wiring. In
this case Trading Standards are investigating (after the event)...

I am sorry if is rather OT, however it should be of interest to
those who believe that all is well on the EMC front...

73
Stewart G3RXQ
Member RSGB EMC Committee

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 09:43:27 +0100, Ian White GM3SEK wrote:
> Stewart Baker wrote:
>> All fine in principle, but here in the UK, nobody is enforcing
the EMC
>> legislation.
>>
> It's true that nobody is enforcing it effectively against grey
imports.
> On the other hand, those are only a small minority of sales. The
vast
> majority of sales come from responsible manufacturers, through
> responsible  distributors.
>
> In Europe, the distributors provide the most effective
enforcement of