Dave,

A comment on your item #2 - while the VFO in the K1 can be modified to have the bands begin 25 kHz up from the lower band edge, if you do that for one band, then all bands will start up 25 kHz. That is a problem with 30 meters where the normal tuning range begins at 10,100 kHz, and most of the CW operation is between 10,100 and 10,125 kHz. If you move all bands up by 25 kHz, you will not have a usable CW tuning range on 30 meters. Alternately, one could leave the VFO frequency as specified in the manual and order custom crystals to place the start of the band 25 kHz up from normal, but that is an expensive undertaking.

Note that the 4 band filter board must include 30 meters as one of its bands. There are only 2 low pass filters on the 4 band board and only 40 and 30 meters plus two bands of the 20m, 17m, 15m set are the only possible choices. The 2 band board can be configured for any 2 bands - 80 thru 15m although there are a few 2 band boards that have been modified to work on 160m and 10 meters.

73,
Don W3FPR

Dave KQ3T wrote:
Hello, all,

I'm about to order a K1, and thought I'd ask your opinions about various options and configuration choices.

1. I understand the tuning range can be set to either 75kHz or 150kHz. My inclination is to go with the 75kHz range, for the slower tuning rate.

2. Somewhat related to 1), will I be better off with a range of 7000-7075kHz or 7025-7100kHz, or possibly some other coverage.

3. What are your thoughts on the following options? In particular, are they effective, and are any of them much easier to install during initial assembly (as opposed to being retrofit)?
  A.  KAT1 Antenna Tuner
  B.  KNB1 Noise Blanker
  C.  KBT1 Battery Holder

Thanks and 73,