I would agree, but in the software world, build is a process or function and 'doing a build' is what you actually do to produce a program, sometimes the command is even called 'build'. In this case, it might be argued that asking if 'we did a build today' is more correct?
It certainly 'feels' more correct in some cercumstances.

But then, if I was querying about a specific program, especially if it was causing problems, I might well ask 'did you build it today or yesterday'.

Personally, I'm not bothered about the change in use, it has gone on for many 100s of years and is the reason English is such a widespread and up-to-date language.

I had to look Eubonics up!
--
I need someone to protect me from all the measures they take in order to
protect me. -Banksy, street artist (b. 1974)