At 09:48 AM 8/21/2008, Jim Denneny wrote...
I am about to attempt the N8LP K3 Buffer Mod for improved RX performance. It involves exchanging two, extremely small, surface-mount resistors.

Chip-quick ( http://www.chipquikinc.com/newsletters/cq_new_june_2004.htm ) is great for doing SMT rework. It's a low melting temperature alloy, which you use like solder. It mixes with the existing solder to make device removal easy. It doesn't take much.

Without a rework station, it's about the only thing you can use for larger devices.

If you were experienced in working with SMT, then it might be overkill for replacing just a resistor. But even if you've done SMT before, there's still the danger of lifting a pad when using just a soldering iron.

Good stuff if you want to do it yourself with minimal risk to an expensive board.

For soldering the new component, I just make sure the pads are lightly tinned, hold the component in place with a toothpick, and lightly touch each joint with the iron.