Dave wrote:

>Fascinating story

I thought so too.  I've been in a similar situation, but fortunately not
so remote from help.

>I'd be worried about someone with that kind of injury going into shock.

It seems to me that shock is often psychologically induced.  Taking
actions to deal with the situation can prevent being preoccupied with
the injury.  I believe that can greatly reduce shock onset.

In 1998, I was hiking alone in north Alabama's Sipsey Wilderness when
I took a mis-step that resulted in a twist break of both bones in the
lower left leg.  It would have driven me crazy to just wait until
someone showed up, so I began a crawl to the nearest trailhead, which
was only a half-mile away.  When I got there more than an hour later,
some folks had just driven up that were able to deliver me to the nearest
hospital.

The only radio I had was an FT-50R HT, but no ham repeater or cell phone
coverage existed in the low valley elevation where I was.  My HT had the
MARS/CAP mod, I knew the frequencies and PL tones of local law enforcement
and Forest Service repeaters.  I'm sure I could have accessed them.  But I
didn't consider the emergency to be severe enough to unlawfully communicate
through those channels and deal with the resulting flap.  Had the fracture
been compound, maybe I'd have taken that drastic step.

I was happy to have been able to deal with the situation without getting
any governmental agency or rescue squad involved, or getting publicity.
All I got was $30,000 in medical costs.  A year later, while camping again
in the Sipsey Wilderness, I overheard on local law and forest service
frequencies the rescue efforts of a woman who broke her leg on a trail
about ten miles away.  I was sympathetic to her situation.

The main thing I learned was that the possibility of unexpected injury
exists everywhere, even when one is doing nothing risky or stupid.

>Anyway, this seems like good fodder for a K1 advertisement.

IMHO, it's likely the best K1 story ever!  I think the fellow did a
great job.

>It certainly emphasizes many of the reasons why I consider HF QRP gear
>to be a priority inclusion for backwoods outings like this.

With great light-weight, high-capability sets like the K1 and KX1 now
available, it would be inconceivable to me now to go on a backpack
trip without HF QRP gear.  In fact, that's *THE* reason I bought a K1
eight years ago.  If I were going to buy a QRP rig today for backpacking,
it would be yet another K1.

I was amused by the youtube "goathiker" videos that have recently been
cited here.  His FT-817 is pretty heavy, and is extremely power hungry
for a backpack rig, but that ham had those goats to haul the weight.

>Cell phones and VHF/UHF gear would very likely be useless in such
>locations.

Very true.  One of my favorite trail systems is along the Buffalo
National River in the Arkansas Ozarks.  Forget getting a signal out
by anything other than shortwave along most of its 150 mile length.

Mike / KK5F
K1 S/N 175 (November 2000)