>Cell phones and VHF/UHF gear would very likely be useless in such
>locations.

Very true.  One of my favorite trail systems is along the Buffalo
National River in the Arkansas Ozarks.  Forget getting a signal out by
anything other than shortwave along most of its 150 mile length.

Mike / KK5F
-----------------------
Not just in remote areas either! Here, only 6 miles from Newport, the
largest city on the Oregon coast, I require a cellular booster with a high
gain antenna on a pole just to access a cell tower from my house 100 feet
ASL even using basic 800 MHz cell phones (forget GSM or other
higher-frequency units).

Our local Amateur RACES organization has a sophisticated 2 meter system with
multiple repeaters, but the system is inaccessible from much of the area
even just a few miles from town due to the rugged terrain (the coastal
mountains reach right down to the water) and, with a tall range of coastal
mountains directly behind us inland, the whole area is isolated for VHF/UHF
communications of any kind with the rest of the state.

Our immediate community of about 150 homes, like a great many hugging the
coast, is easily isolated by storm events. We can count on at least a couple
of storms with sustained 100+ MPH winds each winter that may flood the
coastal highway, and a tsunami would likely isolate us for days, if not
weeks, requiring radio communications to coordinate Coast Guard and other
emergency services as required to save lives.

My Elecraft K2 and K3 rigs, running on batteries, are the primary emergency
communications link out of the immediate area, especially to state HQ in
Salem  or to the North Bend Coast Guard air wing. We use SSB normally
(there's an informal net of Hams all over the Pacific Northwest on 3980 who
meet every day and whenever there's a severe storm event), but I have
demonstrated the ability to do that with a wire tossed over a tree limb
running my KX1 on internal batteries. That's CW of course. The problem with
CW is that there are so few people involved in regular emergency training
who know it, but CW is invaluable in a situation like that Ham in the
Cascades, and we all know there are a lot of operators listening out there.

I hope we never need to use those resources in a life-and-death emergency,
but real benefit for me as a Ham is that my local community not only
applauds my having an antenna up, they'd be sorely disappointed if I didn't.
It's pretty nice when having an antenna in the sky is considered an
important community asset! :-)

I wonder if the Ham injured in the mountains knew to use "QRRR"? I wonder
how many Hams today know what it means?

Perhaps he got lucky hearing that guy tune up and getting an answer to his
call before he needed it.

Ron AC7AC