One more comment: While I find the K3's main tuning knob to be very good, I do find fault with the VFO B knob. It really needs to be rubberized.

73,
Erik K7TV

----- Original Message ----- From: "Erik N Basilier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Rob May" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:42 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] QST Review: Minor Quibble

For each radio with a dimpled tuning knob I have had, I always end up not using the dimple. Instead I tune by rolling the tip of the index finger aroud the outermost part of the cylindrical knob surface. This just seems much better for generating the slight torque required to overcome either friction of the mechanism or inertia of the knob. It also feels much more positive in making that last fine adjustment due to the larger effective diameter and thus larger finger movement. (That said, I often put additional fingers on the knob for the final adjustment, but still only touching the outermost 1/8" to 1/4".) This is not a tuning method that I have come up with to suit the K3; it is what I do for almost all radios, including the tiny FT-817, where fingers really risk hitting unintended controls.

For this method to work well, there should not be too much friction (as from the felt washer) - but the larger effective diameter overcomes friction better than the dimple does. It is important that the cylindrical part of the knob be rubberized almost all the way out to the flat surface, or else have multiple finger indentations like the old S-line. Finally, the knob diameter should be neither too small nor too big. Bottom line: the K3 knob is near perfect (with any reasonable friction setting).