[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
After operating a few contests with my K3, I think I may need to upgrade roofing
filters, especially on SSB. I have the stock 2.7 and the 5 pole 500Hz CW
installed now.

Can anyone comment on the real world contest performance of the 8 pole vs. the
5 pole
filters? On SSB with the width dialed in to 1.8-2.0 Khz, I have stations at S9
and
above that are easily copyable at over 4 Khz wide which makes it tough on a
crowded
phone band.

I can't compare them but I don't think the performance will be that different. There is a 1.8 kHz filter which some have found highly effective for SSB contesting. But keep in mind that the filter is only a backstop to the DSP filtering which comes into play if you have signals greater than about S9+20 which are inside the passband of the wider filter. It's quite possible that many of the 4 kHz wide signals that you are hearing are in fact wide signals caused by overdriven amplifiers, etc.

I'm told that the Inrad supplies the filters to Elecraft, so is there really
only one
filter source?

Elecraft does additional testing of the filters it gets from INRAD, so it's advisable to get them from Elecraft.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco