Matt Palmer wrote:
A ESD bag and a mat are 2 different animals, a ESD bag (silver)
creates a faraday shield around the object protecting it from esd

There are two types of ESD bag, and I think that Elecraft use the pink ones, which are very high resistance and do not generate a charge with friction.

I believe the silvered ones do work like mats.

Also, when measuring resistance, you need to make a line contact, not a point contact. Two ideal point contacts will result in an infinite resistance. I'm fairly sure that two circular contacts, produced with the same probe and pressure will not produce a constant resistance, but will actually scale with separation in the expected way.

(think tinfoil) an esd mat is a relatively high Z conductor designed
to bleed off charge as to avoid arcing (think rub feet on carpet and
touch doornob.) there are also pink 'esd' bags that are not shelded
but are simply made of a plastic which will not generate static
electricity. A ESD bag is not a suitable replacement for a mat.

--
David Woolley
"The Elecraft list is a forum for the discussion of topics related to Elecraft products and more general topics related ham radio"