  From: Missouri Guy
  To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
  Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 4:48 PM
  Subject: Re: [Elecraft] easy source of static dissipating work mat?

  > A ESD bag and a mat are 2 different animals.....

  Right on that.

  I haven't done this, but here's some info:
  I *think* there was a "Hints and Kinks" article in QST
  quite awhile ago where a guy made a "mat" using
  some Masonite (tempered hardboard, etc) and a
  quantity of India Ink.  He said (as I recall) that the
  India Ink has a lot of carbon in it.  When applied to
  the hardboard, it drains off any static (provided it's
  grounded of course).

  Just to throw more meat into the ring.....
  While building the K3, the instructions never tell
  you to power up any "bare" circuit boards that are just laying on
  any mat or bench.  For temporary use what would be
  wrong with, say taking some aluminum foil, and gluing
  it to "whatever" and grounding the aluminum
  via a megohm resistor?

  For a wrist strap, in the past I've used a metal watch band
  with an insulated wire attached and grounded via another
  1 meg resistor.

  Wrist straps (a kit of parts and the strap) might still be available
  at "BG Micro" on the web.  It's OK for temporary use.

  If a person does a lot of PCB work, one should invest in
  something more substantial.  Mouser has a very nice metal wrist strap
  and coil cord set for ~$20.   For a mat, there was a company at Dayton
  selling used ones that looked really nice, going for $25 or so.
  I think they're on the web...Google.  Also, there's the auction
  sites.

  73,
  Charlie, N0TT