You are correct that with a 3 lead electret - the V+ and the AF should both be corrected to pin 1. The remaining pin of the mic element should connect to pin 7 or pin 8. Many electret elements only have 2 leads and must obtain the bias voltage through the AF line, apparently the one you have provides for separate powering.

With a 3 lead electret element, you could try connecting only the AF pin of the element to pin 1, and the ground to pin 7 or 8, and connect the V+ wire through a 10k resistor to pin 5. If you wire it that way, you do not need the bias turned on (but it may not matter whether bias is on or off).

73,
Don W3FPR

NZ0T wrote:
Forgive me for being dense about this!  The RS element has a red wire that is
the V+ for the element.  The other wire is the shielded audio output wire.
Because the K# has switchable voltage available at pin 1 and from what Lyle
posted I assume a coupling capacitor (which allows both V+ and audio to
coexist?) in that line my understanding was that the red V+ wire and the
audio output wire both go to pin 1 and the shield to pin 7.  If I connect
the audio output to pin 1 and the shield to pin 7 where do I connect the red
V+ wire to get the voltage needed to power the element?

Don Wilhelm-4 wrote:
Are you saying that you connected 2 wires to pin 1? There normally should only be one wire to pin 1, and that is the AF line which should connect the other end direct to the + side of the electret element. The other side of the electret element must connect to ground (pin 7 or pin
8).
Turn bias ON in the FP mic menu and likely with an electret, you can use the L setting. In other words, the MIC SEL menu parameter should be FP.L bIAS.

73,
Don W3FPR

NZ0T wrote:
I tried a RS electret element I have here and the audio is distorted and
weak
- do I have a bad element or am I doing something wrong?  I wired the
element directly to the mic wires bypassing the transformer in the mic
with
no cap or resistor.  The red wire and audio to pin 1 and the ground to
pin
7.  Guess I'm clueless when it comes to electret mics!