It turns out the element I had was bad.  I bought a couple today and it turns
out RS has 3 different electret elements.  The one I had has 3 wires which
makes it easier to use an outboard bias supply.  They also have a PC mount
one with 2 leads and one with 2 wire leads.  I used the 2 wire lead one (red
wire to pin 1 and black to pin 7) and it sounds fine to me with the monitor.
I'll get on air reports tonight with the usual group on 1.947.  Believe me,
they will let me know if it sounds bad.