I use a big battery that I bought at Costco for $75, float-charged
by a 10A switching power supply that I bought at a hamfest for $10.
I had to add RFI filtering to it. This keeps up with my K3 driving
my Titan amp in very heavy contesting (30-35w from the K3), and I
can easily get full output from the K3 when I run barefoot.

This rig has two HUGE advantages. First, it's VERY efficient, only
drawing about 400mA from the power line when it's floating the
battery at about 4A and running the radio and accessories. My
Astrons draw about 5 times that just sitting there with no load.
With California rates for electrical power, that's a very nice
difference. Second, it's a pretty beefy UPS!

73,

Jim K9YC