Hi Dick,

Enjoyed reading your posting. I'm not a contester (yet) and my QTH prohibits
chasing DX - but I do agree with the points you make, in particular the one
about the compact nature of the rig. We annually run a trip up to the
Scottish islands and size really does matter. We have to get as much stuff
as we can in to as small a number of vehicles as possible to keep the cost
down. The K3 is ideal for this purpose as it has all the performance needed
in a relatively dinky box. We've tried smaller radios such as an IC7000 and
FT857 and while they take up less room they struggle with some of the
pileup's and the incoming signal strengths that our beach located antennas
generate.

On a slightly humorous note, this year one of the op's brought his FT1000D
along and the most risky part of the trip for me was unpacking it and
packing it away again (manual handling injuries anyone?) - it is a fine rig
though.

We're fortunate enough, now, to have access to a contest and field day site
that overlooks the sea so I'm looking forward to having a bash at some
contests with the K3.

73 Paul M1PAF