> A very obvious "next act" for Elecraft would be to repackage
> the K3 in a larger box, add a bit-mapped color screen, add a
> few more buttons, make the knobs larger, and perhaps include
> an internal power supply. Voila: the K4! I'm sure many (not
> me) would pay $5K or more for such a radio, provided the
> hardware looks and feels expensive. If this idea is rattling
> around in the minds of our Elecraft wizards, my advice is to
> focus on the cosmetics and resist the urge to make lots of
> "improvements".

I agree ... however, I would strongly encourage a "K4" to
include a dual voltage power supply and higher voltage PA
transistors to improve transmit IMD (and perhaps provide
250 watt output).  Although the K3 has ye to be beat in
terms of raw performance, a K4 (K3D?) with better PA, built-in
panadapter and perhaps dedicated "band buttons" with band
stacking registers would be a very serious challenger to the
$10K class toys.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV