Mike,
Make sure that BOTH connectors between the front panel  and DSP
boards are mated. If you leave the one with the single row of pins
unmated you will get the problem of the front mic socket not
working.

Trust me - I have done this TWICE !!!

73
Stewart G3RXQ
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:18:38 -0800, Mike Scott wrote:
> I installed the second receiver in my K3 and at the same time
made the
> prescribed audio and line out modifications.
>
> After checking out the receiver my microphone is now dead using
the front
> panel. Rear connection works okay. I have been using the front
panel
> microphone connector without a hitch up until the time I went
off line to
> make the above modifications.
>
> So has this happened to anyone else and is there something
obvious before I
> start taking covers off?
>
> One thing to note, I did have a problem with the SubRx install.
The Sub-In
> and Sub-Out board connections to the SubRx are very difficult to
tell when
> they are mated correctly as most of the pins are not visible. I
apparently
> ended up with an improper mating and smoked the sub-out board. A
quick call
> to Elecraft identified the problem and a new sub-out board put
me on the air
> after a very careful inspection of the connectors this time. I
am wondering
> if the sub-out is the only thing that I smoked now. The
microphone-audio
> path seems quite remote from all this activity but I don't know
what sneak
> paths I might have created with a misconnected sub-out
connection.

> I checked microphone gain (it is set at 30 with front
panel-high, no bias),
> just as it was before this problem arose. Those mic settings
work well for
> the rear connector using the same microphone. I use one of those
Kenwood