"So, can someone explain in basic terms what's happening when I use Auto
mode on the KAT3 and see favorable SWR on the KAT3 (via K3 display) but do
not see favorable SWR on the MFJ tuner?"

In order for an SWR meter to read the matched condition properly, it must be
between the tuner and the rig.  Your small MFJ is between the tuner (KAT3)
and the antenna (or amplifier), so it is on the "wrong" side of the tuner.

I use the KAT3 and an external balun. Even though there is a short run of
coax connecting the K3 and the balun, I cannot use my external power/SWR
meter there when using the built-in tuner because it is "outside" the part
of the circuit that is being matched by the tuner.

I once thought about adding another coax connecter to get the external power
meter in between the rig and the KAT3 tuner, but now I am used to the K3's
SWR and power meters and am fine with it.

73,

John W2XS