John,

Your K3 auto tune option within the K3 and the SB200 should take care of any amplifier input mismatches found on the turned circuits within the grounded grid amplifier.  In more technical terms, the impedance range of the KAT3 should be adequate.  Having a second tuner in between the K3 and the amplifier doesn't help.  In fact, there are a number of reasons it will make the combination not work to it's fullest efficiency.  ie network losses.  The reason why you are seeing varying VSWR readings is most likely due to changes in coax line length between the K3 and amplifier, with and without the additional tuner.  Reading the K3 manual it says the internal auto tuner can handle a fairly wide VSWR range.  If you find that some of the bands are problematic due to the internal tuner not able to tune out the VSWR into the amp, then I'd attempt tuning the powdered iron core (one per band) on the amp's input circuit.

I am a new user on the learning curve with my K3 S/N 2270 and this is my first post.  It's an exciting way to stay young.    If you'd like to make a schedule on 80 meter ssb to talk about K3 details I'd be delighted.  In fact, I'd like to establish a Northeast OT'ers User's Group to meet on 80 meter schedules.  What do you or anyone else who is interested in meeting on 80 meters within day time,  (8AM) mid week availability think about this idea?  Pre retired baby boomers and their children would be welcome too.

73,

John, W1QS ex N6JL, K1KTH and KA7AB

John Lawrence
Pond Brook Farm