Ordinary and extraordinary? I.e. different polarisations being refracted at
different heights.

I am surprised it is that much delay though.  If it was the other way around
then Ground wave vs Sky wave would be a reasonable explanation but this is
ruled out if the vertical was receiving the crashes later and in any case
the extra delay would be very short.

Alternative explanations:

One antenna was favoring the short path and the other the long path. The
vertical radiation pattern could cause this. The Vertical would ideally have
a low radiation angle and may then favour long path, so local storms might
travel around the world to reach the vertical but also arrive at a high
angle on the horizontal via a shorter hop.

You were hearing different crashes or an echo that was vertically polarised.

There is a known DSP delay on the K3 that depends on the filter bandwidth,
but that would only be a few 10s of ms at the most. So if you have the 150Hz
filter set the audio may be 10ms behind that of a wide open filter.

You have programmed the K3 to have a longer delay than I thought plausible
(AFX?). I don't think the K3 delay is more than a few ms.

You have a longer delay from one ear than the other or a problem in your
wetware. I hope it is not this. It would imply you have become unbalanced,
but you might expect this would happen all the time even on a single
receiver, so it is not likely.

Mike