> On 160 m and 80 m, one kind of weird delayed propagation is the ducted
> one, where signals travel along magnetic field lines into space and
> back, but it is very rare.

And on second thought, since Matt was hearing static crashes with delay
between his two receivers - one imaginative explanation could be that
they are statics originating as lightning from the Southern hemisphere
travelling both in the ionosphere (direct) and on a magnetic field line
(delayed). Each of his two antennas could have mainly picked up just one
of them.  Such static crashes are responsible for whistlers at much
lower frequencies (kHz - audible frequencies).

The delay difference would be half of the range I indicated for magnetic
field line propagation, i.e. 70 ms and up, depending on the location.

Well, I don't know how credible or frequent this could be, but I think
there is a remote possibility for such phenomena.

--
Sverre
F/LA3ZA