Before the 715 is dismissed out of hand and chalked up to "unnecessary
on the K3"  or some other rig doesn't work right,  consider that the
latest releases of Orion/Orion II code have very effective RF speech
processing - as good as any.   But there is a difference between RF
compression (the usual form of processing in DSP radios) and clipping
(a la the 715 and others that came before it)  in terms of how the
signal stands out from the crowd.  Having said that, I don't know the
details of the K3 implementation, but the spec sheet refers to
"compression".

It may well be a useful gizmo for contesters regardless of radio
brand, and certainly for users of older radios -- of which there are
many still out there.

I'd just take this as a very modern twist on what was once a standard
accessory, that isn't necessarily dead yet in terms of usefulness :-)

Grant/NQ5T