Hi Bill,

Tried your experiment, and my main VFO jumped to 5.069.029 while the sub VFO
stayed at 5.999.99.  This was with both receivers linked.

Trying the experiment again, this time with both VFO's unlinked as you had
requested, when I tune to 5.999.999 on the main, the sub also goes to
5.999.999.  However, tuning back up to 6.000.000, the sub VFO readout now
jumps to 6.056.95.  I could hear the relay clicking during both experiments.

As for my motorboating issue, this is not something that you hear if you
just let the receiver sit at 5.000.000.  Instead, the noise only appears
when you turn any VFO or filter knob... if you turn the VFO knob quickly
enough, then it sounds like a motorboat.

This happens from approximately 4.899.91 to 5.102.35

What's really weird though is that if I happen to come across a broadcast
station anywhere between those frequencies, then the motorboating noise will
stop until I pass the station.  After that noise picks up again... it's as
if the receivers don't know what to do with themselves when there's no
signal received between those frequencies, and they decide to inject noise
until another station pops up, or you reach the end of this particular
frequency area.  Now if I stop turning the VFO, then no noise... just band
static.

I uploaded a video that will need VLC to play back.  I hope you can view it
and give me your thoughts.

73,
James KC2UEE