> This could probably work (tuning while the app is in the
> background) if the app could register two or three
> system-wide hot keys which the tuning device could then
> emulate.

Or it requires the application to take exclusive control of
the tuning input device and hold it while in the background.
I'm not a Windows programmer so I don't know how feasible
it is to do that.

Of course a hardware builder could use a scroll wheel/encoder,
three pushbuttons, a toggle switch and a PIC to build an
external encoder.  The PIC would have serial (RS-232) in/out
to pass through normal logging software ... it would read the
pushbuttons, toggle switch and encoder to generate UP#; and
DN#; commands as the encoder was turned ... UP;/DN for 10 Hz
steps, UP3;/DN3; for 50 Hz steps and UP4;/DN4; for 1 KHz
steps.  The toggle switch (or a latching pushbutton) would
select either VFO A or VFO B.

The same can probably be done in software.  If a Windows
programmer was interested ... it might be interesting to do
a "host application" (one that would accept commands from
the Contour Shuttle Pro/ShuttleXpress and generate the
correct serial output).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV