I went this route and updated (2) K3's with the E850235 boards. The boards
are $20 verses the kit with some resistors spec. to 1% is $15.

73 de KE4WY Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Bill W4ZV
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 10:39 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] I/O mod kit REMIOUPGD (P/N E850235)

W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:

> For those wanting TTL outputs on the I/O board (Mike incorrectly stated
> E850237), you may now replace your old board with a new one.  $15.00 ($20
> is correct) plus shipping.  This is an alternative to soldering the 2.2k
> resistors on the old board.

For the record, I'm posting this response from Lyle KK7P to me (his comments
preceded by ###):

    Which of the following mods involving the KIO3 does this affect?

    http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_app_notes.htm

###I'm not sure I understand the question, but I'll try and answer anyway.
###I assume by E850237 you mean the KIO3 Remote (aka Digital) IO board that
is included in the REMIOUPGD mod kit. I believe the correct part number for
this is E850235.

    **K3 AF OutPut Mod Kit*
<http://www.elecraft.com/K3/mods/AF_Output_Mod_Rev_C.pdf>

###No impact, not part of the digital IO board.

    **Improving the Immunity of the Rear-Panel RS232 and Audio Connectors to
RF
<http://www.elecraft.com/K3/mods/ELECRAFT_Application_Note_Improving_the_Imm
unity_of_the_Rear-Panel_KIO3_RS232_and_Audio_Connectors_to_RF.pdf>

###Ground return inductor mod on the RS232 port only.
###The RFI mods list some optional inductor bypasses.  The optional ones are
not done on the new board; they are still optional based on your shack,
environment and station system design.

    **K3 AF Mod kit
<http://www.elecraft.com/K3/mods/K3_AF_Stage_Upgrade_Instructions_Rev_B.pdf>

###No impact, not part of the digital IO board.

    **K3 Negative ALC and Ext Band Data Pull-up Mods
<http://www.elecraft.com/K3/mods/K3ALCMod_Rev_B.pdf>

###Does the digital IO board portion.  The RF board cuts portion *must*
still be done.

To summarize:

1.  The board involved is the KIO3 Remote IO (aka "Digital") Board, P/N
E850235 and is available for $20 plus shipping as REMIOUPGD on this page:
http://www.elecraft.com/order_form_parts.htm#K3%20Parts

2.  Installing this board can be done in lieu of grounding the RS232 Ground
Choke on the Remote I/O Module as shown in Figure 5 of the mod "Improving
the Immunity of the Rear-Panel RS232 and Audio Connectors to RF".  The other
parts of this mod on page 3, affecting the KIO3 Audio I/O Module, must still
be performed.

3.  Installing this board can be done in lieu of pages 3-4 of the mod "K3
Negative ALC and Ext Band Data Pull-up Mods".  However, cutting the two
traces on the RF board (under the bottom front cover) must still be
performed as shown on page 2 of the mod instructions.

I hope this clears up any confusion.  Hopefully I got everything right
(please correct me if I didn't Lyle).

73,  Bill  W4ZV