Way cool!  Congratulations, David!

Dick, K6KR

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of David Fleming
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:50 PM
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 Time Keeper v0.1

I've had a few requests for the K3 time updater I mentioned the other day.
So I've made it available for download.

Mac version (OS X 10.3 or later) http://sight.net/K3Time/K3Time.zip

Windows XP/VISTA (maybe 98 not sure) http://sight.net/K3Time/K3TimeWin.zip

It's very easy to use and should be self-explanatory.

Select the appropriate serial port and baud rate the first time the program
is run. It will remember these settings, so they need to be set only once.

To display UTC time, click the "UTC" checkbox. To return to local time,
uncheck it. Be sure the computer's system clock is set properly, and if
applicable, set for Daylight Savings Time.

To setup unattended updates, click the "Auto-Update" checkbox. This will
automatically update the time on the K3 whenever the program is run (if the
K3 is attached and turned on, of course). When Auto-Update is enabled the
program will automatically send the current system time to the K3 and then
terminate after a 10 second delay. The delay allows time to turn off
auto-update if need be. On Windows, you could use "Scheduled Tasks" in the
control panel to set a time schedule for automatic execution of the program.
On the Mac, a cron job (crontab) could be used. Cronnix is a nice Aqua
frontend for cron if you're not familiar with creating crontabs from
Terminal. I'm not sure how well the K3 clock keeps time. I never use it. But
I would think updating the time once a week or even once a month would be
sufficient.

Click the "Update K3" button to send the current system time to the K3.

That's all there is to it. The K3 time will not be *exact* with the
computer, but it will get it close (within 0.5 second or so). I get the best
results by clicking the update button as soon as a new second begins.
Waiting until late into a second will result in the K3 being a second
behind. Try clicking the update button several times until you get a good
visual sync.

I've done very little testing of the Windows version. There could be bugs.

The program works by sending a sequence of CAT commands to the K3. Clicking
"Update K3" begins this sequence:

K31;   // Enables K3 extended mode
MN073; // Enters CONFIG:TIME Menu option
DS;    // reads VFO A display area (now displaying TIME)

Parse DS; command response to get K3 HOUR, MINUTE and SECOND.

Determine computer HOUR, MINUTE and SECOND.

SWT13; // select SECOND

UP; or DN; until K3 SECOND = computer SECOND

SWT12; // select MINUTE

UP; or DN; until K3 MINUTE = computer MINUTE

SWT11; // select HOUR

UP; or DN; until K3 HOUR = computer HOUR

MN255; // exit menu

DONE..

20:42:00