John Jeffers wrote:

> Hi
>
> I looked through the Archives and FAQ's and see the K3 is a All in one
> rig with top of line features.
>
> The K2 was the former one.  With a little less features and not all in
> one processor.  It uses pic 18C452 instead of 18F452 etc so you can't
> flash upgrade it as easily.
>
> (I program Linux systems and PIC systems.)
>
> But I can make a qrp rig for $770 K2 kit instead of $1400 K3 semi-kit
> and I am an electrical engineer.
>
> Is there any good reason to go to the K3?
>
> VE3GYV John
>
> P.S. K1's sell for more  assembled on Ebay than Kits........  So the
> issues of losing money on the rig appear to not be true.

I have a K2, and went for the K3 because of its much improved support for
digimodes (which were really an afterthought on the K2) and FM (which isn't
catered for at all.) The fact that the currency exchange rates were
favourable at the time I ordered it, and the credit crunch hadn't happened,
had a bearing on it too.

I think the K2 and K3 are like apples and oranges. The K2 is a more basic
radio with an emphasis on portability (small size, light weight, low current
consumption, facility for internal battery.) Plus it has the unique benefit
that you get to build it. The K3 is clearly designed to be more of a high
end desktop radio for those who want the ultimate in receiver performance.
And even if you'd prefer to build it, you only get to assemble it.

If you aren't sure you need the K3 then in my opinion you probably don't. I
don't chase DX, I only contest casually, and I don't really need a high end
radio. If Elecraft had brought out a K2 Mk II with 1Hz VFO resolution and
dedicated input/outputs for digi modes it would probably have done the job
for me, even without FM. So your decision will surely depend on whether
there are things you want to do that the K2 can't do.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
http://www.g4ilo.com/ G4ILO's Shack    http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html KComm
for Elecraft K2 and K3   http://www.wota.org.uk/ Wainwrights On The Air