Hi Dave,
No it's not the spike problem.
I think that it is close to the "tune then creep up in power" issue.
It only seems to be a problem when the KPA3 is selected.
The power output on either a whistle or using the 2 tone oscillator is low on
SSB, and
hitting the key puts the power back up. However, the increased/restored power
level is
nowhere near as stable or repeatable as I would like. Bands above 40m seem
unaffected.

73
Stewart G3RXQ