John,

If the voltage rating of these relay coil bypass caps is somehow being
exceeded in your shipboard installation causing the caps to fail, and if you
cannot find suitable higher DC voltage rated leaded replacements, you might
like to consider using SMD (chip) capacitors instead.

AVX include in their product line of multilayer ceramic SMD capacitors for
low frequency use, as opposed to microwave rated devices, .01uF  100 VDC
caps in both 0805 and 1206 sizes, and 0.015 uF caps rated at 500 and 600 VDC
in 1206 packages.

I have no financial interest in AVX, but do use their microwave rated
capacitors.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

Don Wilhelm wrote on Friday, April 03, 2009 at 3:29 PM.