I felt the same thing when I first started using my K3. As I started
learning how to adjust the IF filter controls I found that as the
bandwidth became more optimum I was also able to cut out the super
highs and lows. The K3 can give you a really wide audio frequency
spectrum if you want to hear it. But I have found that for SSB a low
cut of 350 to 450 Hz coupled with a high cut of around 1.75 KHz
provides a very good audio range that does not fatigue my ears. For
contesting I narrow it down even more and still have very copiable
reception.

For CW I vary the width to give similar results, but much more narrow
bandwidth. Hearing high or very low pitched sounds can tire your ears
quickly. My K3 does a great job of eliminating those while still
allowing me to hear what I need. While I am used to closing down the
bandwidth to limit what I hear, the other two hams in my family are
not. Both KB4TGE and KG6YMN have had no problems at all with the
narrow bandwidths. Both are definitely not in the contester category
(yet)...

As others have noted on the list, it seems to be best to adjust the
high and low cuts for SSB, while adjusting the IF bandwidth for CW.
The latter varies the IF frequency, while the high/low cut does not.

And, for the record, my K3 has the stock 2.7 KHz 5-pole filter along
with a 500 Hz 5-pole filter. I use a Heil Proset headset with HC-4 mic
element. I don't yet feel the need for other filters, although I am
sure that will change as the gift-giving season (Christmas, birthday,
etc) approaches and the above-mentioned hams start asking what I might
like... ;-)

The environment of Silicon Valley is very RF-intensive. As one would
expect of a high-technology area, there are a lot of hams, and
contesters, in close proximity. I have found that the best setup for
my K3 in a contest is to run with attenuation ON, preamp OFF, and as
narrow bandwidth as possible. With this combination, I am actually
getting back to not having headaches at the end of a long contest. The
K3 has definitely improved my contest enjoyment.

I think the message here is to experiment with the radio to get what
you want and need from it. It shouldn't be giving you headaches or
extraneous noise unless you really want it to. Once you learn the
magic combination for your operation you should have very enjoyable
operation.

-Jack Brindle, W6FB