This discussion reminds me of how fatiguing I found the TS-950S to
use.  I could not do a contest without getting a splitting headache.

The K2 helped me figure out why, one day after yet again mucking
about with BFO settings & dealing with lumpy/bumpy filter passband
& impossible quest to reasonably balance sound with high & low-side
BFO injection, I inadvertently put an audio spectrum analyzer on the
950's output.

Now this is from sample of quantity one, but that 950 had energy in
its audio output well above bandwidth of interest.  The K2 did not, nor
did an IC-765 I was also using at the time.  Only the 950 was literally
painful to use after as short a time as a few hours.

The K3 apparently has the same sort of energy on its audio output,
but because it is so many dB down, when the news broke it was
dismissed as a non-issue.

Some folks have better hearing than others.  Reproduction of the
sound can also vary due to differences in speakers & headphones.
All the variables could add together enough to reach the point where
the effect is noticeable; they just as easily combine to something
less.

I hope Elecraft looks at issues like this more objectively than its
user community appears to sometimes.  And cheers to those who
will say what some don't want to hear, is the only way things can
get sorted out.

73, ex-VR2BG/p.