Not only that, but the major electric feeders are also run out in the
open! Long-distance transmission lines, whether they be for
communications, power transfer or car/truck/train throughways are
necessarily run through non-secure areas, in most cases in the open.
It would be extremely impractical to do otherwise, and would make the
services prohibitively expensive.

The problem with the six fiber cables (four in south San Jose, two in
San Mateo) appear to be deliberate acts of sabotage, meant to cause
harm. They were perpetrated by someone who knew what they were doing.
It would be next to impossible to secure against such an act,
especially since it may be (looks like, and is reported as being) an
inside job.

At this point the local news continues to report that the outage is
ongoing with no estimate as to when repairs will be completed. They
are also reporting that just about everything to do with the two cuts
are under criminal investigation. Let's hope that the folks in Aptos
come back on line very soon.

-Jack Brindle, W6FB