Steve,

There was a 'safety valve' added to the K3 a while back that prevented
RF if the K3 was turned on while PTT or a closed Key was found.
Apparently, the timing of both the K3 power on and your PC boot were
close enough to activate that 'safety valve', but in an unusual manner.

Note 'safety valve' is a label of my invention - you will not find that
term in the manual.

73,
Don W3FPR