Don,

> OK, that shoots down my theory that it is manufacturing date
> related.  Well, *maybe*, we now have a sample of 2 that do
> not fail, and several that do.

Here's one more data point ... I deleted all of the old files
from the firmware directory in the K3 Utility, extracted the
MCU 2.67/DSP 1.96 package and uploaded it to K3 S/N 1450.  The
"failure" disappeared after reloading MCU 2.67, DISP 1.96 and
FPF 0.02.  I then stepped through MCU 2.78/DSP 1.98 and MCU
2.97/DSP 2.02 which also worked fine.

When I reached MCU 3.03/DSP 2.10 the "failure" reappeared.

Stepping back to MCU 2.97/DSP 2.02 restored normal operation
and installing ONLY MCU 3.03 with DSP 2.02 generated the
problem.

It looks like there is a subtle bug introduced in MCU 3.03
(between 2.99 and 3.03) but I don't understand why my older
K3 does not display the same failure.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV