Ron,

The K3 has a "text decoder" which can de-code CW, PSK or RTTY.  With the
K3, one can enter CW via the paddles and have it converted to RTTY ot
PSK31.  The combination of the two allows one to operate those modes
without a computer.
Check the manual section on Text Decode and Display for more information.

If you want more than text displayed than the width of the VFO B display
area allows, or you want a waterfall display, then you will need to
connect a computer soundcard to the K3 Line-in and Line-out jacks.  No
interface box is needed, just two stereo cables with 3.5mm plugs at each
end - the K3 line-in and line-out jacks are transformer isolated.  You
can operate with just those two cables if you use VOX, but IMHO, a
better solution is to use a serial cable from the computer to the K3
(you need to have one available for firmware loads anyway)  for PTT.
Set the software application to use either RTS or DTR for PTT and set
the K3 CONFIG: PTT-KEY  menu parameter to match the application setting.

73,
Don  W3FPR