I don't think front end overload is your problem.  I've had S9 + 45db
signals sound perfectly fine on my K3 with no audio distortion and no
off-frequency artifacts at all.  I use the least amount of AGC possible
... AGC THR = 008 and AGC SLP = 000.  The only way I've ever experienced
audio distortion is when I turn the AGC off.

On the other hand, K6LL and others have pointed out that the AF limiter
in the K3 kicks in a bit early even if it is set to the maximum of 30.
It's a pretty abrupt limiting action that can cause audio distortion,
and if you have yours set lower than 30 you'd probably hear problems
with even weaker signals.

Also, are you using a speaker, either an external one or the one in the
K3?  You could be getting mechanical resonances on strong signals if you
are.

73,
Dave   AB7E