Mike,

That mod to the K2 (which has been incorporated into the new K2s) is
simply a limiter.
If the signal level at the input to the IF amplifier ever increases to
the point where the diodes clip the signal, then distortion will occur.
The clippping distortion may not be noticed on CW, but it certainly will
distort SSB and data signals.

There is a mod for the K3 to change to a larger choke in the AF
amplifier.  If that change is not installed, distortion can occur in the
AF amp itself.

But all in all, Jim Brown is correct - a large signal like what was
reported is certain to cause activation of the COR at the K3 input
(input protection) and distortion is to be expected in situations like
that.  It is also likely that the K3 Hardware AGC is maxed out and can
lower the gain no more with the resulting of overload of the ADC.
Without making measurements, it is difficult to say just where the
overload point(s) might have been, but it is clear that a 100 watt
signal ON FREQUENCY with antennas close to each other is certain to
create overload and the distortion is a natural 'happening' under such
overload conditions -- in other words, the K3 dynamic range (as good as
it is) was exceeded - everything has its limits.

73,
Don W3FPR